Our Lady of the Assumptions – Oriental Mindoro


 
The first church in the Municipality of Lubang appears to have been built by Fr. Muriel in 1865. In 1918 there was a strong typhoon which destroyed many houses and buildings including the church.
 
 
 
In 1935 the present concrete church in Barangay Poblacion was built with Fr. Enrique Rixner, SVD. (Divine Word Missionary), being the main proponent.

Source:http://www.angelfire.com/art2/frankhyde/lubang/index.html

San Jose Cathedral – Occidental Mindoro

On January 27, 1983 the late Pope John Paul II approved the division of the island of Mindoro into two vicariates – the Apostolic Vicariate of Calapan covering all the towns in Occidental Mindoro and the Apostolic Vicariate of San Jose which is composed of the twelve parishes in the eleven towns of Occidental Mindoro.

The spiritual welfare of the Catholics in Oriental Mindoro remained under the governance of Bishop Simeon Valerio, SVD, DD but that of Occidental Mindoro was entrusted to Bishop Vicente Manuel, SVD, DD. Bishop Manuel was officially installed on July 1, 1983 in a ceremony officiated by the representative of the pope in the Philippines, Archbishop Bruno Torpiglianni, DD. From that time, the parish church of San Jose was converted into a cathedral.

Source: http://www.angelfire.com/art2/frankhyde/lubang/pagesl/Cathedral_San_Jose.html

Bancuro Church – Oriental Mindoro

The Bancuro Church Ruins, popularly known as the Simbahang Bato is located in Brgy. Bancurro in Naujan.

The Simbahang Bato is an ancient, roofless ruin of a church and priory built during the 17th century. In early 1600s, the Augustinaian priests established their first settlement here in Barangay Bancuro in Naujan to evangelize the natives.

By the 17th century they built it a church with stone walls that served as the house of worship and at the same time as a fort and a place of refuge against the Moro invaders.

Unfortunately, in 1824 the Moros were able to conquer it and burned the fort.

For centuries, the church had lain in ruins, its interiors have all gone but its majestic charm remains. Bushes have grown along the edges but the stones are still there, intact as if proclaiming that it will still be there for upcoming generations to see and revel. This is not just a church, not just some ruins and an archaeological site, this is the town’s history.

A small chapel is now located within its massive walls, earning its monicker ” a church within a church”. It is now one of the most famous tourist destinations in Naujan and home to college students doing archaeological digs, is accessible via a 45-minute jeepney ride from the town proper.

Source:
http://www.naujenos.com/bancuro-church-ruins/