Santa Cruz, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Santa Cruz is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro region 4, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it had a population of 26,887 people in 5,407 households.


The original name of Sta. Cruz prior to the coming of the Spaniards to the Philippines was Talabasi. In the old map of Mindoro, this name appeared in the place where Sta. Cruz is located at present. According to the indigenous people, in their dialect, talabasi was the name of a kind of medicinal plant during the early days.

The name Sta. Cruz was believed to be given by Captain Juan de Salcedo to the small village he found near the area where the mouths of Ramayan, Salagan and Pola Rivers merged.

Another story traces the origin of the name of this community. Based on the story, the original name of this place was Bugo. It came from the name of a tree. A small community composed of the families of Benedicto Flores, Francisco Bernardo, Felix Gatdula, Eulalio Isidro and Damian Fernandez was formed here. The leader of the group was Francisco Bernardo. The community members drew water for household use from the stream of Timalon.

One day Eulalio Isidro found in the stream a wooden cross, one foot long. He showed it to his companions. The group considered the discovery of the cross as a miracle. Since they were religious by nature, they built a chapel and at the altar of the house of worship, they enthroned the cross. From that time on, Sta. Cruz became the new name of Bugo.

Since 1663, Sta. Cruz officially belonged to the Parish of Calavite which could be found at the north-westernmost part of Mindoro. It was only in 1876 when Sta. Cruz was again mentioned as a developing community. In April 1877, the king of Spain approved the establishment of a new town in Mindoro which would be called Santa Cruz de Mindoro. Due to his successful efforts, we could say that Fr. Pedro Muro de San Agustin was the founder of the town of Sta. Cruz.

Local Government Officials
Mayor: Filemon Mamaril Galsim
Vice-Mayor: Rose Calabio Malabanan

Ernesto Paglicawan Torreliza
Filemon Masangkay Galsim Jr.
Genesis Marquez Gatdula
Mabelle Morales Castro
Antonio Luis Bernardo De Borja III
Joseph Banzon Isidro
Johnny Saique Ramos
Divina Daprosa Paguagan


Santa Cruz is politically subdivided into 11 barangays.

Pinagturilan (San Pedro)
Poblacion I (Barangay 1)
San Vicente
Poblacion II (Barangay 2)


San Jose, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

San Jose is a 1st class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 111,009 people in 22,464 households. According to the 2007 census, the population increased to 118,807 people. The population growth currently experienced by San Jose is attributed to a growing number of migrants.
San Jose is considered the main commercial port in the province. It is named after its patron saint, St. Joseph, the husband of Mary. Most of the people are Visayans, Batangueños and Ilocanos.



During the 14th century, Chinese traders anchored to trade at the shores of Mangarin, the oldest settlement in the southern portion of Occidental Mindoro. On May 1, 1910, Pandurucan, which was renamed San Jose, became the seat of the Civil Government with Don German Ramirez as its first appointed leader up to 1915. When the Japanese Imperial Forces occupied the town, Bonifacio Gomez was appointed as Mayor from 1941-1942 followed by Pedro Cuden, 1942–1943 and finally Isabelo Abeleda in 1944 until 1946. During the American reoccupation Bibiano Gaudiel replaced Isabelo Abeleda who regained his position in 1955.

San Jose figures prominently in Philippine history for its role during World War II. American forces led by General Douglas MacArthur with the Filipino soldiers staged a so-called “Second Landing” in the beaches of San Jose (the “First” being the famous Leyte Landing) on December 15, 1944, to retake the Philippine islands from the Japanese (the Battle of Mindoro). Securing San Jose and the whole Mindoro island proved decisive in the goal to recapture Manila and Luzon, and the eventual defeat of the Japanese Imperial forces by Filipino and American troops.

The Philippine government split Mindoro into two provinces, Occidental Mindoro and Oriental Mindoro in 1950. San Jose became the temporary capitol but was transferred to Mamburao on January 1950. Migration to Mindoro in the years after the war boosted population growth and spurred development. The Philippine Sugar Mill plantation in the northern Barangay Central helped San Jose become the center of commerce in those years. The economic base has since widened to include rice, corn, tobacco, salt, and aquaculture production.


Local Government Officials


Mayor: Jose Tapales Villarosa
Vice-Mayor: Rey Cajayon Ladaga
Victoria Abeleda Villaroza
Senen Mercado Zapanta Jr.
Joel Gaudiel Aguilar
Philip Zubiri Lim
Augusto Sese Abeleda
Norma Cabrera Gonzales
Renato Clarin Tan
June Salceo Palmares




  • Ambulong
  • Ansiray
  • Bagong Sikat
  • Bangkal
  • Barangay 1 (Pob.)
  • Barangay 2 (Pob.)
  • Barangay 3 (Pob.)
  • Barangay 4 (Pob.)
  • Barangay 5 (Pob.)
  • Barangay 6 (Pob.)
  • Barangay 7 (Pob.)
  • Barangay 8 (Pob.)
  • Batasan
  • Bayotbot
  • Bubog
  • Buri
  • Camburay
  • Caminawit
  • Catayungan
  • Central
  • Ilin Proper
  • Inasakan
  • Ipil
  • La Curva
  • Labangan Iling
  • Labangan Poblacion
  • Mabini
  • Magbay
  • Mangarin
  • Mapaya
  • Murtha
  • Monte Claro
  • Natandol
  • Pag-Asa
  • Pawican
  • San Agustin
  • San Isidro
  • San Roque 1 and 2


Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Sablayan is a 1st class municipality of Occidental Mindoro. It has a total land area of 2,188.80 square kilometers, the largest municipality in the Philippines.




The term Sablayan was derived from a Visayan word Sablay which means wave convergence. In the early times, the very location of the town was where the waves from North and South China Sea meet, hence, the name Sablay that later became Sablayan.
The early settlers of Mindoro were the Mangyans. They were believed to be of Malayan origin. They were joined in by natives from neighboring islands–mostly Panayeños led by the TANUNGAN during the second Spanish settlement established by Legaspi. Years later, more arrived who, unlike the first migrants, were already converted Christians; and sometime in 1861 migrants increased in population.
Sablayan then was often subject to raids by Muslim pirates and slave traders so a wooden tower was built–watched round the clock to guard against approaching raiders. This alarm system was augmented in 1896, when four bells of varied sizes–believed to have been manufactured in Spain–arrived from Manila. These bells rang musical chimes.
Upon the arrival of a Spanish priest, a church had to be built. Men, women and children were conscripted to work on it. This church is now in ruins, its bells gone but the biggest cannon standstill atop a small hill near the lighthouse of Parola. The church was abandoned when the town proper was moved to Buenavista.
In 1901, the first American arrived in Sablayan. Due to the outbreak of Fil-American war, Americans burned the town in 1903. It took years before Sablayan was rebuilt.
Sablayan was already a pueblo (town) under the Spaniards when the Americans came. However, when the American Government took over it was converted into a full pledge municipality on January 04, 1906 by virtue of Act No. 1820 of the Philippine Commission.


Local Government Officials


Mayor: Eduardo Baltazar Gadiano
Vice-Mayor: Andres Dawates Dangeros
Nancy Laudencia Landicho
Edwin Nicanor Mintu
Manuel Pasion Tadeo
Conchita Hilario Dimaculangan
Roberto Cruz Lim
Amable Bundang Urieta
Celso Sarzate Salgado
Roberto Gonzalvo Dimayacyac




Sablayan is politically subdivided into 22 barangays. In 1957 the following barrios were renamed: Batasan to Claudio Salgado, Hinaya to Buhay na Bato (Batong Buhay) and Iriron to San Isidro.

Batong Buhay
Claudio Salgado
General Emilio Aguinaldo
Poblacion (Lumangbayan)
San Agustin
San Francisco
San Nicolas
San Vicente
Santa Lucia
Santo Niño



Rizal, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Rizal is a 4th class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 29,785 people in 5,678 households.




Before the coming of the Spaniards to the Philippines, the area which comprises the municipality of Rizal, at present, is covered with forests. Later on, a few families of tribal Filipinos, known as Ratagnons, settled near the mouth of a river which was called Bogsanga.
According to the Hanunoos, another group of tribal Filipinos, living on the hills, about ten kilometers west of Bogsanga, the original name of the river is Bisanga a word from their dialect which means It branched out. They gave the river that name for the said body of water came from two sources.
Political leaders of San Jose and Occidental Mindoro felt that the barrios between Busuanga and Lumintao River should be created as another municipality. In anticipation of the creation of a new town, residents of Barrio Limlim, decided to change the name of their community to Rizal. They expressed their desire that their barrio would be made as the center of the town.
When Hon. Pedro Medalla, Sr. was elected in 1965 as representative of Occidental MIndoro, one of the bills he filed in Congress was the creation of the municipality of Rizal. Through his effort, Republic Act No. 5460, was passed by Congress and signed into law by President Ferdinand Marcos. Rizal became a municipality on April 3, 1969. Ten barrios composed the new town. They were Adela, Rumbang, Salvacion, Magui, Magsikap, San Pedro, Sto. Nino, Pitogo, Aguas and Rizal (Limlim).


Local Government Officials:


Mayor: Jesus Acosta Valdez Sr.
Vice-Mayor: Ferdinand Hermoso Arca
Ronar Antolin Hitones
Erson Cabaluna Pablo
Jimmy Maloles Jaurigue
Edgardo Colesio Tamboong
Sherwin Fedellaga Ibañez
Lawrence Rabago Dona
Amador Famenia Felipe
Restituto Feliciano Awit




Rizal is politically subdivided into 11 barangays.
• Adela
• Aguas
• Magsikap
• Malawaan
• Pitogo
• Rizal
• Rumbang
• Salvacion
• San Pedro
• Sto. Niño
• Manoot



Paluan, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Paluan is a 4th class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro. In the 2000 census, it has a population of 12,023 people in 2,483 households.

During the early part of the 17th century, Paluan was known as the Religious District of Calavite, before it became a Municipality on January 5, 1901. The town is located at the northern tip of the Province of Occidental Mindoro. It lies along the northeast shore of Paluan Bay approximately 7 miles southeast of Cape Calavite, a major sea-lane for inter-island and ocean-going vessels. The town is straddled by rolling to steep mountain ranges under the majestic shadow of Mount Calavite, a forest reservation for the rare Mindoro Tamaraw. At Mount Calavite point, the best panoramic view of Occidental Mindoro and nearby islands could be seen.




The old village of Paluan mentioned in history was Calavite. The said village could be found near the sea at the north-westernmost part of Occidental Mindoro. Its original name was kalawit, from the shape of the mountain behind the settlement of the people.

Aside from being the center of the Catholic faith, Calavite was mentioned in history due to shipwrecks which oftentimes occurred in its rough seas. Elders of the Iraya tribe still remember a Chinese ship which sank at the sea near Calavite. The place where the waves brought the remnants of the ship is now called Sitio Purao.

The municipal officials of Paluan stated that this town was created on January 5, 1901 by virtue of a resolution passed by the members of the Municipal Council of Mamburao.

Local Government Officials

Mayor: Abelardo Sanchez Pangilinan
Vice-Mayor: Edgar Pagilagan Barrientos
• Lynette Calabio Torreliza
• Demosthenes Ramos Viaña
• Carl Michael Mopera Pangilinan
• Antonio De Lara Tinaliga
• Roel Ventajar Carlos
• Ronaldo Insigne Torreliza
• Williard Fineza Sanchez
• Melvin Terrenal Tagumpay


Paluan is politically subdivided into 12 barangays.
• Alipaoy
• Harrison
• Lumangbayan
• Mananao
• MarikitMunicipal Profile
• Mapalad Pob. (Bgy. 1)
• Handang Tumulong Pob. (Bgy. 2)
• Silahis Ng Pag-Asa Pob. (Bgy. 3)
• Pag-Asa Ng Bayan Pob. (Bgy. 4)
• Bagong Silang Pob. (Bgy. 5)
• San Jose Pob. (Bgy 6)
• Tubili


Mamburao, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Mamburao is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. It is the capital municipality of Occidental Mindoro. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 34,487 people and has 20,344 registered voters (2010). The town has an approximate land area of 33,950 hectares.




The first village to be visited by the Spaniards was the village of Mamburao, which according to history made this village the Moro stronghold in the island. Early on January 1, 1560, Legaspi dispatched his grandson Juan de Salcedo with a combined Panay Forces in 15 boats, sailed from Mamburao and destroyed this Mohammedan town and demolished the pirate port. Salcedo returned richly laden with spoils of war and covered with martial glory. On May 3, 1560, another expedition was sent from Panay which included Salcedo and Martin de Goiti and touched at Mamburao.

During the earliest days of Christianity, the Village of Mamburao belonged to the third convent district established at Calavite. Mamburao later became a ‘colossal empire”, for it either incorporated three towns or gave birth to the municipality. From the end of the Spanish period in 1902, Sablayan was a barrio of Mamburao as barrios. Under Act 1280 in 1905, Paluan and Abra de Ilog were annexed to Mamburao as barrios. All these places however, eventually were created as separate municipalities, In 1929, Sta. Cruz, a barrio of Mamburao, was also given independent status as a municipality.

Before the separation of Sta. Cruz from Mamburao, the latter had an area of 1,050 square kilometers, or 105,000 hectares. The population of Mamburao in 1903 was only 894, in 1939, it increased at 4,423, and in 1948 it jumped to 5,571. Literacy percentage then was 46.6%.

Mamburao’s population at the turn of the century was very sparse because it was depopulated during the Muslim invasion and piracy in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Mamburao itself was made the base of Muslim piratical raids of the coastal towns of Mindoro, Luzon and Visayas. During the latter part of the nineteenth century, Mamburao was peopled again by immigrants. The first batch if immigrants were Ilocanos who came from Zambales. At the turn of the century, Tagalogs came to Mamburao. Most of them came from Lubang, Looc, and Paluan, but some came from Batangas and Cavite.
By June 13, 1950, the entire province of Mindoro was divided into two Oriental and Occidental Mindoro, with Mamburao chosen as capital for Occidental Mindoro. at present, Mamburao is composed of Fifteen (15) Barangays, with an approximate land area of 33,950 hectares.


Local Government Officials

Mayor:Voltaire A Calimbas Villarosa
Vice-Mayor:Angelina Franco Tria
• Dulce Mulingbayan Recaido
• Asuncion Castillo Villar
• Alberto De Luna Alastre
• Raul Villar Masangkay
• Ma. Dolores Flores Calabio
• Emmanuel Altamirano Olfato
• Silverio Padua Cascalla
• Manuelino Ramos Cosuco


•Fatima (Tii)
•San Luis (Ligang)
•Poblacion 1 (Barangay 1)
•Poblacion 2 (Barangay 2)
•Poblacion 3 (Barangay 3)
•Poblacion 4 (Barangay 4)
•Poblacion 5 (Barangay 5)
•Poblacion 6 (Barangay 6)
•Poblacion 7 (Barangay 7)
•Poblacion 8 (Barangay 8)


Magsaysay, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Magsaysay is a 4th class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 28,740 people in 5,713 households.
Magsaysay lies on the southern-most part of the province and is adjacent to the municipality of San Jose on the North; on the East separated by chain of valleys and mountains in the municipality of Bulalacao, Oriental Mindoro; on the South, by Garza Island; and on the West by Iling Island. It is facing the China Sea, with vast plains and valleys. It is characterized by rugged terrain with plain areas. Slope ranges from level to very steep sloping areas. The highest point of elevation is 543 feet above sea level.


Magsaysay was formerly a Hacienda Caguray. It was acquired from hacienda owners Yutivo and Sons by the OLIMA Farmers Association on March 16, 1957 and turned over on November 7.
Magsaysay later became a barrio of San Jose. It became a separate municipality in 1969 and was named after the late Pres. Ramon Magsaysay.


Local Government Officials


Mayor:Eleonor Barrera Fajardo
Vice-Mayor:Ramon Ganda Quilit
• Mario Vidallo Quilit
• Feliciano Sagnip Sagana
• Leodegario Ramos Abesamis
• Andrew Villanueva Garcia
• Lydia Garcia Esguerra
• Antonio Adupina Pacunla
• Ranulfo Basuel Limos
• Benjamin Lerio Arroza




Magsaysay is politically subdivided into 12 barangays.
• Alibog
• Caguray
• Calawag
• Gapasan
• Laste
• Lourdes
• Nicolas (Bulo)
• Paclolo
• Poblacion – Town Proper
• Purnaga
• Santa Teresa
• Sibalat



Lubang, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Lubang is a 4th class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 22,896 people in 5,082 households.
The municipality encompasses western half of Lubang Island.



The name of this town came from lumbang, a kind of tree which grew profusely in this island during the early days. Due to constant use for so many years, the name became Lubang.

Lubang was already a progressive community in 1570, when Captain Juan de Salcedo and his Spanish soldiers, together with Visayan warriors, visited this place. That year, Salcedo put the island of Lubang under the jurisdiction of Spain.

According to some historians, the ancestors of the inhabitants of Lubang might have learned how to construct a stone fort and a device for throwing stones from Chinese merchants who bartered goods with them, prior to the arrival of the Spaniards to the Philippines. The potteries and kitchen utensils excavated from some parts of the island proved the existence of active trading between the people of Lubang and China.

In 1901, the American soldiers landed in Tilik and Sitio Binasal of Barrio Vigo, two communities of Lubang. They burned Tilik and captured the Katipuneros who revolted against the Spaniards. They placed the whole island under the jurisdiction of American authorities.

Local Government Offcials

Mayor: Juan Malabanan Sanchez
Vice-Mayor: Yolanda Villas Quiñones
Charles Zubiri Villas
Erwin Villas Anzaldo
Wilbert Tangi Daulat
Tomasito Tañeca Puli
Edgardo De Lara Morales
Florencito Tria Tangi
Cecilito Morales Valisno
Redentor Viaña De Lara


Lubang is politically subdivided into 16 barangays.
• Sorville (Gozar)
• Binakas
• Cabra
• Maligaya
• Maliig
• Tagbac
• Tesalona
• Tangal
• Tilik
• Vigo
• Araw At Bituin (Pob.)
• Bagong Sikat (Pob.)
• Banaag At Pag-Asa (Pob.)
• Likas Ng Silangan (Pob.)
• Maginhawa (Pob.)
• Ninikat Ng Pag-Asa (Pob.)
• Paraiso (Pob.)



Looc, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Looc is a 5th class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 9,132 people in 2,014 households.
The municipality encompasses the eastern half of Lubang Island.


The name of this town came from its wide bay which up to the present time is being used as place of refuge by sea vessels during stormy weather.
Based on the Chinese potteries and utensils which were excavated from the islands of Golo and Ambil of this municipality, it could be assumed that the first inhabitants of these places came into contact with Chinese traders or were influenced by the culture of the foreign merchants.
Although the number of inhabitants in many villages of Mindoro decreased due to piracy, this was the reason why more people settled at Bulacan, Looc.
When the American soldiers put Lubang Island under their jurisdiction in 1900, a group of foreign soldiers under the command of Captain Samuel occupied Looc. That same year, the leader of the community, Capitan Lino Liboro, established Colegio Filipino de Looc.
In 1902, the first public school was opened in Looc.
Aside from farming, fishing and weaving of sinamay or clothes made of abaca fibers, building of big sailboats was the occupation of many families in Looc. This town became well known, not only in Mindoro but also in other parts of the Philippines, as the place where sturdy and fast sea vessels are being made.
Local Officials
Mayor: Nestor Navarro Tria
Vice Mayor: Apolinar Famini Tria
• Marlon Viaña Dela Torre
• Leonardo De Lara Tristan
• Rommel Tristan Villar
• Armando Camacho Viaña
• Jose Miembro Ambrocio
• Dionisio Tria Tividad
• Anthony De Lara Limjoco
• Marissa Abeleda Gumandoy
Looc is politically subdivided into 9 barangays.
• Agkawayan
• Ambil Tabao & Tambo
• Balikyas
• Bonbon (Pob.)
• Bulacan
• Burol
• Guitna (Pob.)
• Kanluran (Pob.)
• Talaotao

Calintaan, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Calintaan is a 4th class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 23,503 people and a 1.06% growth rate. Tagalog is the main dialect spoken in Calintaan, being spoken by approximately 62% of the household population, followed by Ilocano which is spoken by about 22%.




The name of the village which was mentioned first in the history of the places under the Municipality of Calintaan at present is Ililin. Local historians believe that the name of the village now is Brgy. Iriron for in the old map drawn by Fr. Murillo, SJ during the Spanish regime, Ililin was indicated in the spot where Iriron is presently located.

Based on Spanish records, the population of Iriron in 1829 was one hundred fifty (150). It was also recorded that this village has two cannons used by the residents in defending themselves against Moro pirates.

Due to the frequent incursions of the pirates to their village, the people of Iriron transferred to other places. What remained in the settlement were the church, convent, prison and a few houses. Years later, visitors who entered the church were surprised to see the three chandeliers fashioned out of the backbone of a large whale.

Meanwhile, Calintaan became a progressive community after the Spanish regime. Mr. Eligio Jimenez was appointed as the first cabeza de barangay of this place.
In the election held on November 14, 1967 Hon. Felomino Jimenez was elected as the first municipal mayor of Calintaan.


Local Officials


Mayor: Lily Racca Estoya
Vice Mayor: Efren Fernandez Garcia
• Eric Credo Labrador
• Rocel Payas Mendoza
• Cornelio Jose Gasmin
• Rogelio Aguilar Trambulo
• Rommel Tadeja Cariaso
• June Cleto Esteban
• Lamberto Jimenez Guiral
• Ronnie Dionisio Importante




Currently Calintaan has 7 barangays which are:
•Concepcion Iriron
•New Dagupan