Looc, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Looc is a 5th class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 9,132 people in 2,014 households.
The municipality encompasses the eastern half of Lubang Island.


The name of this town came from its wide bay which up to the present time is being used as place of refuge by sea vessels during stormy weather.
Based on the Chinese potteries and utensils which were excavated from the islands of Golo and Ambil of this municipality, it could be assumed that the first inhabitants of these places came into contact with Chinese traders or were influenced by the culture of the foreign merchants.
Although the number of inhabitants in many villages of Mindoro decreased due to piracy, this was the reason why more people settled at Bulacan, Looc.
When the American soldiers put Lubang Island under their jurisdiction in 1900, a group of foreign soldiers under the command of Captain Samuel occupied Looc. That same year, the leader of the community, Capitan Lino Liboro, established Colegio Filipino de Looc.
In 1902, the first public school was opened in Looc.
Aside from farming, fishing and weaving of sinamay or clothes made of abaca fibers, building of big sailboats was the occupation of many families in Looc. This town became well known, not only in Mindoro but also in other parts of the Philippines, as the place where sturdy and fast sea vessels are being made.
Local Officials
Mayor: Nestor Navarro Tria
Vice Mayor: Apolinar Famini Tria
• Marlon Viaña Dela Torre
• Leonardo De Lara Tristan
• Rommel Tristan Villar
• Armando Camacho Viaña
• Jose Miembro Ambrocio
• Dionisio Tria Tividad
• Anthony De Lara Limjoco
• Marissa Abeleda Gumandoy
Looc is politically subdivided into 9 barangays.
• Agkawayan
• Ambil Tabao & Tambo
• Balikyas
• Bonbon (Pob.)
• Bulacan
• Burol
• Guitna (Pob.)
• Kanluran (Pob.)
• Talaotao