Mamburao, Occidental Mindoro (History, Local Gov’t Officials, Barangays)

Mamburao is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines. It is the capital municipality of Occidental Mindoro. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 34,487 people and has 20,344 registered voters (2010). The town has an approximate land area of 33,950 hectares.

 

History

 

The first village to be visited by the Spaniards was the village of Mamburao, which according to history made this village the Moro stronghold in the island. Early on January 1, 1560, Legaspi dispatched his grandson Juan de Salcedo with a combined Panay Forces in 15 boats, sailed from Mamburao and destroyed this Mohammedan town and demolished the pirate port. Salcedo returned richly laden with spoils of war and covered with martial glory. On May 3, 1560, another expedition was sent from Panay which included Salcedo and Martin de Goiti and touched at Mamburao.

During the earliest days of Christianity, the Village of Mamburao belonged to the third convent district established at Calavite. Mamburao later became a ‘colossal empire”, for it either incorporated three towns or gave birth to the municipality. From the end of the Spanish period in 1902, Sablayan was a barrio of Mamburao as barrios. Under Act 1280 in 1905, Paluan and Abra de Ilog were annexed to Mamburao as barrios. All these places however, eventually were created as separate municipalities, In 1929, Sta. Cruz, a barrio of Mamburao, was also given independent status as a municipality.

Before the separation of Sta. Cruz from Mamburao, the latter had an area of 1,050 square kilometers, or 105,000 hectares. The population of Mamburao in 1903 was only 894, in 1939, it increased at 4,423, and in 1948 it jumped to 5,571. Literacy percentage then was 46.6%.

Mamburao’s population at the turn of the century was very sparse because it was depopulated during the Muslim invasion and piracy in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Mamburao itself was made the base of Muslim piratical raids of the coastal towns of Mindoro, Luzon and Visayas. During the latter part of the nineteenth century, Mamburao was peopled again by immigrants. The first batch if immigrants were Ilocanos who came from Zambales. At the turn of the century, Tagalogs came to Mamburao. Most of them came from Lubang, Looc, and Paluan, but some came from Batangas and Cavite.
By June 13, 1950, the entire province of Mindoro was divided into two Oriental and Occidental Mindoro, with Mamburao chosen as capital for Occidental Mindoro. at present, Mamburao is composed of Fifteen (15) Barangays, with an approximate land area of 33,950 hectares.

 

Local Government Officials

Mayor:Voltaire A Calimbas Villarosa
Vice-Mayor:Angelina Franco Tria
Councilors:
• Dulce Mulingbayan Recaido
• Asuncion Castillo Villar
• Alberto De Luna Alastre
• Raul Villar Masangkay
• Ma. Dolores Flores Calabio
• Emmanuel Altamirano Olfato
• Silverio Padua Cascalla
• Manuelino Ramos Cosuco

Barangays

•Balansay
•Fatima (Tii)
•Payompon
•San Luis (Ligang)
•Talabaan
•Tayamaan
•Talabaan
•Poblacion 1 (Barangay 1)
•Poblacion 2 (Barangay 2)
•Poblacion 3 (Barangay 3)
•Poblacion 4 (Barangay 4)
•Poblacion 5 (Barangay 5)
•Poblacion 6 (Barangay 6)
•Poblacion 7 (Barangay 7)
•Poblacion 8 (Barangay 8)

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamburao,_Occidental_Mindoro
http://zamboanga.com/z/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=mamburao+occidental+mindoro&go=Go