Divine Word College of Calapan (History, Course Offerings, College Departments, Contacts)


History
The history of the Divine Word College of Calapan as a Catholic institution of higher learning is closely linked with the missionary mandate of the SVD in Mindoro . It traces its roots more particularly on the missionary work of the Fr. Benito Rixner, SVD together with the other missionaries of the Society of the Divine Word. Mindoro Junior College , as the school was originally called, was established in April 1946. The formal opening of classes in first year Normal Education, Liberal Arts, Pre-Law and special short-term courses in Typing and Stenography was on July 1,1946 thirty-seven students enrolled.

The first floor of the old bishop’s convent was used for classrooms by the students and the ten faculty members. The biggest room served as library with around a thousand volumes coming from the other SVD schools and the rest from donations. The regular convent rooms were used as classrooms while the smallest room became the Registrar’s Office. Athletic activities were held at the church plaza.

In 1953, Fr. Albert Cook, SVD who was the Director at that time constructed a concrete two-storey building on the lot purchased just adjacent to the two original buildings, which was finished just on time for the school year 1953-1954. The upper floor was used for classrooms and laboratory, while the lower floor served as classrooms and auditorium. By this time, there were three buildings being occupied by around a thousand students. The buildings were used until the summer of 1964.

From 1954 to 1964 there was a steady increase in enrolment that it was felt that a bigger space would be needed. Bishop William Duschak, SVD, DD, a man of foresight and dynamism went to Europe to ask for donations from friends and benefactors and so the dream of having a modern college in a spacious compound became a reality. With the opening of the school year 1964-1965 all the classes were transferred to the new campus, with a very imposing building built along modern architectural lines. At the same time, the Elementary Department was inaugurated by virtue of the Temporary Permit No. 96. When enrolment declined due maybe to the transfer to the new campus, Fr. Eleuterio S. Lacaron, SVD, the President at that time, adopted new strategies like the School Campaign Program in 1974 which contributed a lot to enable the school to regain momentum in due time.

Then by 1975 enrolment started to pick up again. The following year, permission was granted by the MECS for the revival of the Graduate School program which was phased out in 1972. Meanwhile the college curriculum was further diversified with the inclusion of the short-term courses and the offering of traditional fields of concentration in the degree program. With the advent of the 1980’s, more vigorous efforts were directed not only in improving school facilities, but also in acquiring additional site for the future expansion.

In 1980, the course in Master in Business Administration (MBA) was opened by virtue of Temporary Permit No. 132, s. 1980 dated July 1980 with 47 students and three professors. Its subsequent recognition was granted on June 19, 1985 signed by the Minister of Education, Culture and Sports, Jaime C. Laya with Government Recognition No. 089, s. 1985.

In January 1981, the name of the college was changed from Mindoro College to Divine Word College of Calapan, thus making it more representative of her educational apostolate in the province.

Then in 1987, having satisfactorily met the standards and fulfilled the requirements of the accrediting body, the Divine Word College of Calapan was granted Level II accreditation for five years by PAASCU. On April 2, 1993 another Level II accreditation was granted which was again renewed in 1998.

A non-degree program in Computer Science was opened during the term of Fr. Joel L. Maribao, SVD as President to give the youth the opportunity to learn the new technology. The Associate in Computer Data Processing (ACDP) was recognized during the school year 1994-1995, while the two-year course in Computer System and Business Management (CSBM) was given Permit No. TV-P 059, s. 1994.

The third year of ladderized Computer Science Course was given Government Permit No. 098, s.1995, dated April 18, 1995 , leading to the four-year degree of Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) during the term of Fr. Eleuterio S. Lacaron, SVD. Another course, the Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering (BSECE) was offered effective the school year 1995-1996 under Government Permit No. 145, s. 1995.

The Civil Engineering Department was acknowledged as Number 1 in the regional level (Region IV) and Number 10 in the National level on account of high percentage of board passers. This was published in the Philippine Star dated June 13, 1995 .

Another honor was received by DWCC per Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Memorandum No. 76, s. 1995, where the DWCC was selected as Center for Excellence in Teacher Education in Region IV.

It was also during the time of Fr. Eleuterio S. Lacaron, SVD (1994-1995), that DWCC was selected by the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) as the Institute of Local Government Academy (ILGA) in Oriental Mindoro.

In the school year 1995-1996, under the term of Fr. Romeo P. Bancale, SVD, the Graduate School Department applied for the courses Master in Public Administration and Doctor of Philosophy in Management. Government Recognition Nos. 27 & 28, s. 1997 were granted to the two courses effective school year 1997-1998. The High School Department was transferred to the new site in Pachoca starting school year 1997-1998.

In school year 2000-2001, during the term of Fr. Ernesto F. Vitor, SVD, Government Permits were granted to offer new courses namely Bachelor of Science in Office Administration, Bachelor of Science in Tourism and Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management as well as Associate Courses in Office Administration, Tourism and HRM using the ladderized curriculum.

In 2002, the building for the Elementary Department was constructed in the Pachoca campus beside the High School building. The Elementary Department then transferred to the new site in the school year 2003-2004 thus putting together the Basic Education Department in one campus.

COURSE OFFERINGS

Graduate Courses

Doctor of Philosophy in Management (Ph.D.)
MA in Education
Majors in: Administration & Supervision, English Literature, Mathematics, Science Education, Social Science
Master in Business Administration
Master in Public Administration

Undergraduate Degree Programs

Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE)
Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering (BSECE)
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCOE)
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS)
Bachelor of Arts (AB)
Majors in: English, Political Science, History, Journalism, Psychology & Human Resource Development(HRD)
Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEED)
Majors in: Early Childhood Education, English, Filipino, Mathematics, Science & Health
Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSED)
Majors in: English, Filipino, General Science, Mathematics, PEHM
Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA)
Bachelor of Science in Commerce (BSC)
Majors in: Banking and Finance, Management, Economics
Bachelor of Science in Tourism (BST)
Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management (BSHRM)
Bachelor of Science in Office Administration (BSOA)

Associate Courses

Associate in Computer Data Processing (ACDP)
Associate in Tourism (AT)
Associate in Hotel and Restaurant Management (AHRM)
Associate in Office Administration (AOA)

Basic Education

Secondary Course (with Computer Literacy)
Elementary Course (with Computer Literacy)
Kindergarten
Special Education (SPED)

Departments
Department of Accountancy
Department of Business Administration
Department of Computer Studies
Department of Engineering
Department of Education
Department of HRM, Tourism and Office Administration
Department of Liberal Arts

Contacts
Address : Infantado St., Sta. Marica Village, Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro 5200
Telephone : (043) 288-5586 / 441-0545
Fax : (043) 288-4567
E-mail : divine@dwcc.edu.ph


Source:http://www.cbcpworld.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Word_College_of_Calapan

Comments

  1. magkano po ang tuition fee sa Divine ng BSED?

  2. magkano po ang tuition fee ng BSEd sa Divine? Per sem?

Speak Your Mind

*